How quickly are homes getting sold here in L.A.? FAST!!!
Check out this infographic https://goo.gl/UZ15fN
for the home sales throughout the country. Let’s connect to discuss your options.
In honor of the Spring season, this month’s “The Art of…” series is all about “decluttering.” It’s true that clutter exponentially grows the longer we’ve lived in a home. As a common practice, it’s always good to tidy up several times a year to stay on top of it. I’ve created a list of the top 5 areas of the home that people often forget about when they plan out their Spring cleaning. Additionally, I’ve included some awesome vendors if you’re in need of a helping hand, looking for a service to haul things away or you are looking for a local charity to donate some items to.
5 Most Commonly Forgotten Areas of the Home to Clean this Spring:
Windows (Inside and Out) & Screens: Often, when I walk into a potential new listing, one of the most common areas people forget to clean are the windows. If consistently taken care of, this is something you can manage yourself. Otherwise, you can rely on the professionals to clean out the piled up dirt and debris so your windows sparkle! Plus, it’ll make the view a lot better 🙂
Above, Behind and Surfaces of Kitchen Appliances: I love cooking, so my kitchen is the heart of my home – because of this, I move my refrigerator and stove at least once a quarter (always ask for help!). There’s generally some food debris and dust that accumulates behind these appliances, so cleaning this out can help to discourage unwelcome pests from showing up for snacks (especially during the warmer time of year). Don’t forget to clean the inside and outside of the dishwasher! The Bottom Line: Some simple cleaning can help to keep your appliances in their best working condition.
Garage/Storage Area: I find that this is probably the most neglected part of the home when it comes to cleaning. So many people use these spaces for the storage of seasonal items, old files, paint & other chemicals and other “memories”. There are a few drawbacks to having a cluttered garage or storage area:
The Furnace and the Filter: Your furnace should be professionally cleaned every year – that said, if your furnace is in a closet (as most in Southern California are), it is important to keep that closet clear of any clutter. It’s common for me to see a furnace closet used as a storage closet – this is extremely dangerous and should be completely avoided. Your furnace filter is also a commonly forgotten task. It’s good to change your filter every 6 months – every 3 months if you have sinus sensitivity. It’s something you can do yourself (take a measurement and go to the hardware store or order online), but can also be done at the time of the professional cleaning.
Behind and Around Washer and Dryer (Especially the Dryer Vent): I find that the most common issue with uncleaned Washers is a build up of minerals and chemicals, leading to mold, mildew and unpleasant smells (yuck!). This build up also poses a risk to the functionality of the machine itself. Plus who wants to wash their clothes in a dirty washing machine?! Washing Machine cleaner is easy to find (I use a Tide cleaner at home). Equally important is cleaning the dryer: the US Fire Administration estimated that there are more than 2,900 home clothes fires each year. People remember to clean out the lint screens but this only accounts for 25% of the lint that accumulates in your dryer. The other 75% goes into the dryer vent and sticks to the walls. It’s smart to also clean inside, behind, and underneath the dryer because lint builds up there as well.
Melissa Menard Homes Preferred Vendors
Fish Window Cleaning- https://www.fishwindowcleaning.com/
National Council of Jewish Women- https://www.ncjw.org/ (They will mail you an itemized receipt of your donations you can use for taxes)